This information hub is available for use by community groups, workplaces or individuals who would like to learn more about the COVID-19 vaccine used in New Zealand and preparing for a COVID-19 vaccination.
We welcome you to refer to any of the materials listed. If you would like to host a workshop with people in your group or workplace, we suggest you work through this material together including time for discussion and reflection (allow for a one hour session).
The Immunisation Advisory Centre is a trusted independent provider of evidence-based vaccine information in Aotearoa. We work closely educating the vaccinator and broader sector workforce supporting the rollout of the COVID-19 vaccination programme.
Quick conversation tips
Talking with people who are concerned about getting vaccinated is a great way to help them make a decision. Here’s a guide to having a chat that has been based on research about what works. You’ll see that it’s not always about the latest facts and figures, it’s often more about reassurance.
How the COVID-19 vaccine works
- Video: How does the COVID-19 vaccine work? – short animated video (2 mins)
- Online content: How the vaccine works and the protection it provides (estimated read time: 5 mins)
- Online content: The Delta variant: transmission and vaccine effectiveness (estimated read time: (3 mins)
- Online FAQ: What is in the vaccine and how is it made? (estimated read time: 5 mins)
COVID-19 vaccine safety and side effects
- Animated Video: How can we be confident getting vaccinated is safe? – short animated video (2 mins 40s)
- Video Q&A: How does the vaccine affect people’s immune systems differently? (2 mins)
- Video Q&A: How do we know the vaccine can be used safely now and into the future? (2.20 mins)
- Online content: Vaccine approval process in New Zealand (estimated read time: 3 mins)
- Online content: Who can’t have the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine? (estimated read time: 2 mins)
- Online FAQs: Vaccine safety in special circumstances and groups (estimated read time: 5 mins)
Preparing for COVID-19 vaccination
- Online content: Tips to prepare for your COVID-19 vaccine appointment (estimated read time: 2 mins)
- Online content: Getting your COVID-19 vaccine: What if I don’t like needles? (estimated read time: 2 mins)
- Video series: What is it like getting vaccinated? - IMAC's Dr Nikki Turner's vaccination video diary with the Ministry of Health (estimated total watch time: 12 mins)
Additional and topical information
- Supporting resources for Tagata Pasifika
- Includes glossaries in Samoan, Niuean and Tongan and additional video content
- My Pregnancy Vaccination Story: Josie Oloito’a (published by Moana Research)
- Video: Immunisation and Pregnancy (general IMAC video from 2018, 4 mins)
- How to recognise and report misinformation and scams (information by the New Zealand Government)
- Vaccines and the workplace (information by Employment NZ)
- Vaccines and your job (information by the New Zealand Government)